- Advertisement -spot_img

Sibanyoni’s alleged extortion allegations deepen as an insider speaks

- Advertisement -spot_img

Must read

By Marcus Moloko

Taxi boss and businessman Madoda Johannes “Joe Ferrari” Sibanyoni, together with three co-accused, appeared in the Kwaggafontein Magistrate’s Court this week on charges of extortion and money laundering. Their bail application is expected to resume on Monday.

Sibanyoni, who has business interests in housing development, social housing, and mining, is accused of seeking a share from the Moloto Road (R573) construction project, according to a Sunday Times report, with access to an insider.

ALSO READ: In Pictures: South Africa positions housing as catalyst at World Urban Forum

According to the insider, Sibanyoni allegedly wanted a cut from the lucrative development.

While his legal representative, former Director of Public Prosecutions Shaun Abrahams, argued that Sibanyoni had a legitimate business relationship with the complainant, sources told the Sunday Times that no such relationship existed.

The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) alleges that between 2022 and 2025, Sibanyoni and his associates extorted more than R2.2 million in “protection fees” from a prominent Mpumalanga mining and infrastructure businessman.

ALSO READ: Mhlauli calls on young people to actively shape the country’s future

Prosecutors claim the accused threatened to shut down operations if payments were not made. The funds were allegedly laundered through multiple accounts to disguise their origins.

The co-accused include Mvimbi Daniel Masilela, Philemon Makhaya Msiza, and Oupa Josiah Bafana Sindane, a millionaire taxi boss who recently handed himself over to police.

Police said Sindane had been evading arrest, though his defense team disputes this, insisting he was unaware he was wanted until contacted for questioning.

Sibanyoni’s name has long been linked to underworld figures and has surfaced repeatedly in testimony before the Madlanga Commission of Inquiry, probing police leaks, alleged taxi cartels, and corruption in the transport sector.

ALSO READ: Moya flags R30 million bill for suspended officials alongside delay tactics

Sibanyoni has also been associated with alleged crime boss Vusimusi “Cat” Matlala.

Despite the mounting allegations, Sibanyoni maintains his innocence.

While in court, he described himself as a “man of God” who preaches to inmates, insisting that the charges were unfounded.

His defense team argues that the transactions were part of a legitimate business arrangement, a claim the state intends to challenge with forensic banking evidence and insider testimony.

Friday’s bail hearing was delayed after defense lawyers complained about the late arrival of the state prosecutor. The postponement means Sibanyoni and his co-accused remain in custody until proceedings resume on Monday.

INSIDE POLITICS

More articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

CATHSSETTA

spot_img

AVBOB STEP 12

spot_img

Inside Education E-Edition

spot_img

Inside Metros G20 COJ Edition

spot_img

JOZI MY JOZI

spot_img

QCTO

spot_img

Latest article