24.2 C
Johannesburg
- Advertisement -

Ad hoc committee renews call for Paul O’Sullivan’s in-person appearance in Parliament

- Advertisement -

Must read

By Johnathan Paoli

Parliament’s ad hoc committee probing corruption and political interference has insisted that forensic investigator Paul O’Sullivan testify in person, rejecting his request for a virtual appearance and warning that his conduct may amount to contempt.

The insistence came during a charged committee meeting that also scrutinised a National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) report into stalled criminal cases involving O’Sullivan and former acting national police commissioner Lt-Gen Khomotso Phahlane, before turning to new witness proposals submitted by Patriotic Alliance (PA) MP Ashley Sauls.

Ad hoc committee chairperson Soviet Lekganyane told the meeting on Monday that O’Sullivan had “insulted the Parliament of this country” by referring to MPs as criminals and alleging plots against his life.

Lekganyane said O’Sullivan had gone further by indicating he would not recognise members of the MK Party, EFF or ActionSA, even if he appeared virtually.

“Mr Paul O’Sullivan has insulted the Parliament of this country. He has cast aspersions on members of this committee, calling them criminals. This is not something we can simply ignore. This conduct amounts to contempt of Parliament and contempt of its own processes,” Lekganyane said.

ANC chief whip Mdumiseni Ntuli said O’Sullivan must be summoned to explain his role in the SAPS security environment, stressing that the committee would not accept excuses for his absence.

“We are dealing with an individual who is treating Parliament with serious contempt. It would be a travesty of justice if we don’t have him before us. We should not allow him to play games while the committee is extended endlessly,” Ntuli said.

ANC MP Xola Nqola stated that O’Sullivan’s application to appear virtually was declined with immediate effect.

MKP MP Nhlamulo Shongwe said every legal mechanism must be used to compel O’Sullivan’s attendance, while David Skosana warned that failure to secure his testimony would allow the committee’s credibility to be undermined.

The DA’s Glynnis Breytenbach struck a note of caution, warning of possible security risks should O’Sullivan be forced to appear in person, but did not oppose the principle of his testimony, while the EFF’s Leigh-Anne Mathys took a harder line, rejecting virtual hearings outright.

“We can’t produce quality work through virtual meetings. All our hearings must be in person. With O’Sullivan, he must come. We have tolerated his nonsense for way too long,” Mathys said.

ActionSA MP Doreen James said she was “taken aback” that Parliament had not already initiated a subpoena process.

The confrontation unfolded alongside a briefing by legal adviser Andile Tetyana on an NPA report dealing with criminal charges against O’Sullivan dating back to 2017.

The report revealed that the matter, involving charges of fraud, impersonation and extortion, was struck off the roll under section 342A of the Criminal Procedure Act due to unreasonable delays.

Tetyana told MPs the case was not permanently withdrawn and could technically be re-enrolled, but said nine years had passed without progress.

He confirmed that postponements were repeatedly sought by the NPA and that prosecutors later decided to “hold over” prosecution pending the finalisation of matters involving Phahlane.

Breytenbach said she had never encountered a case struck off under section 342A in her 26 years as a prosecutor and demanded court transcripts to establish exactly what order had been made.

ANC MP Khusela Sangoni said the reasons for the delays must be provided in writing by the NPA, while MK Party MPs called the situation “very serious”.

The committee agreed to request transcripts from the court registrar and to consider calling the prosecutors involved to account for the prolonged inaction.

In the latter part of the meeting, PA MP Ashley Sauls presented two proposed witnesses whose submissions, he argued, highlighted systemic failures and alleged cover-ups within the criminal justice system.

The first involves Paulina Ramajua and journalist Dimakatso Raphoto, both placed under witness protection following the 2020 murder of Ramajua’s husband and other alleged crimes linked to the Izangoma Zidumo reality show.

Sauls said the women remain in hiding years later, with no progress in the cases, and allege SAPS Gauteng officials were paid to suppress investigations.

The second submission came from Sgt Samkeliso Mlotshwa, who alleges he was assaulted by members of the Hawks in KwaZulu-Natal, with Lt-Gen Nhlanhla Mkhwanazi allegedly present.

Mlotshwa further claims he was offered R5 million and a promotion to withdraw his case, declined the offer, and later had his home broken into and burnt down.

MPs across the ANC, DA, EFF, ActionSA and MK Party supported the inclusion of both witnesses, with Sangoni saying their testimony could enrich the committee’s work.

The meeting concluded with confirmation that the committee will resume in Parliament on Tuesday at 11:00, when former Independent Directorate Against Corruption (IDAC) head Robert McBride is expected to testify.

INSIDE POLITICS

More articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

AVBOB STEP 12

Inside Education Quarterly Print Edition

Inside Metros G20 COJ Edition

JOZI MY JOZI

QCTO

Latest article