22.4 C
Johannesburg
- Advertisement -

Government allows emergency water-supply boost amid crisis

- Advertisement -

Must read

Government gave the continent’s biggest bulk-water supplier an urgent license to take more water from a key river system that feeds its richest province to help stabilise supplies amid shortages.

Rand Water can extract 200 million cubic metres a year more than its normal allocation from the Vaal River system for four months through June, Water and Sanitation Minister Pemmy Majodina said in a statement Thursday.

The emergency measures are intended to help municipalities in Gauteng, which houses the economic hub of Johannesburg, rebuild reservoir levels after weeks of supply problems.

The Vaal system “is already constrained and unable to accommodate permanent additional allocations,” Majodina’s department said.

“This is not a long-term solution to the water supply challenges being experienced in Gauteng.”

Johannesburg, Africa’s richest city and home to about 4.8 million people, has faced growing water outages due to underinvestment in infrastructure and poor maintenance, prompting protests.

In September, Johannesburg Water said it needs to spend R32.5 billion over the next decade to address the crisis.

In a speech last week, acknowledging that scores of municipalities are dysfunctional and unable to provide basic services, President Cyril Ramaphosa committed R156 billion for water infrastructure and sanitation over the next three years and set up a national water crisis committee that he will chair to tackle the problem.

BLOOMBERG

More articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

AVBOB STEP 12

Inside Education Quarterly Print Edition

Inside Metros G20 COJ Edition

JOZI MY JOZI

QCTO

Latest article