24.2 C
Johannesburg
- Advertisement -

Just over R7 million budgeted for SONA 2026 in cost-cutting drive  

- Advertisement -

Must read


By Akani Nkuna

Parliament Secretary Xolile George has said that the 2026 State of the Nation Address (SONA) will cost about R7 million, greatly reduced from the allocated budget of R15.5 million for 2025, of which R12.5 million was actually spent.

“Equipment alone [during SONA 2025] was R9.1 million. There is context for the huge variation of last year, versus why is it significantly less this year.

ALSO READ: IPID says forensic gaps, budget strain and non-compliant metros weaken police oversight

Last year, we had to add the component of hiring the ICC — as you would know, a lot of our guests were hosted at the ICC,” he said on Wednesday.

“This year we have a marquee in front of the City Hall, and that cost driver is taken out by Public Works. So that explains the high difference of a lesser amount, because we are aiming significantly to reduce the cost drivers of hosting SONA.”

George and the Speaker of Parliament, Thoko Didiza, were briefing the media in Cape Town about the preparations and readiness to host SONA 2026 on Thursday.

Didiza said that 490 members including representatives from the South Africa Local Government Association have been invited to the chamber, along with guests invited to the public gallery. The overflow marquee had been erected to increase capacity, she said.

She said that SONA 2026 had a more significant purpose beyond the glitz and glamour. It was a platform that sought to create an environment where the country’s most pressing issues could be addressed and solutions solicited.  

“SONA 2026 … is a reaffirmation of parliamentary constitutional mandate to hold the execute to account, to legislate in the public interest, to facilitate meaningful public participation and to serve as a platform for national dialogue,” Didiza said.  

ALSO READ: O’Sullivan on the defensive: five things that irked MPs

The SONA debate by member of the National Assembly and National Council of Provinces will take place from 17 to 18 February, and President Cyril Ramaphosa’s reply to the debate will be on 19 February, she said.   

She said that in accordance with established protocol, invites had been sent to all former heads of state.

Former presidents Jacob Zuma and Kgalema Montlanthe had confirmed their attendance, she said, while Thabo Mbeki apologised for having to miss the event. Didiza added, however, that clear confirmation would be decided by who took to the red carpet on the day of the ceremony.

ALSO READ: Civil society asks Ramaphosa to block murder-accused Solly Lechoenyo’s Special Forces promotion

With Parliament’s buildings still under reconstruction, Didiza said project assessments indicate the work should be completed in time for Parliament to host SONA 2027, but warned that the timeline could still slip due to adverse weather and other factors beyond Parliament’s control.

INSIDE POLITICS 

More articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

AVBOB STEP 12

Inside Education Quarterly Print Edition

Inside Metros G20 COJ Edition

JOZI MY JOZI

QCTO

Latest article