By Thapelo Molefe
The ANC’s long-running leadership disputes in the Eastern Cape escalated on Thursday night after disgruntled party members threatened fresh court action over the appointment of a new Provincial Task Team (PTT), hours before the structure was officially inaugurated at City Hall in Gqeberha.
ANC Secretary-General Fikile Mbalula led the launch of the 40-member interim structure, which will steer the party in the province ahead of the 2026 local government elections.
The legal threat comes from ANC members Lwazi Rotya, Sinethemba Mpande and Nompumelelo Mzothwa, who were among applicants that successfully interdicted the party’s Eastern Cape 10th elective conference in March over alleged branch irregularities.
In a letter sent by attorneys Makangela Mtungani Inc, the trio warned the ANC to reverse its decision to appoint the PTT by Tuesday or face another urgent court application.
The lawyers argued that appointing the task team without formally dissolving the Provincial Executive Committee (PEC) was “illegal and unconstitutional”.
“The PEC may not be dissolved without reason and without a fair and lawful process being followed. We are not aware of any reason for a dissolution or any procedure followed before any dissolution decision could be taken,” the attorneys said.
They further argued that the expiry of the PEC’s four-year term did not automatically dissolve the structure.
“As a matter of law, it is entitled to remain in office until the election of a new PEC, unless lawfully dissolved after a fair and proper process has been followed,” the letter read.
The attorneys also noted that two other court applications linked to the interdicted provincial conference remain unresolved, including a contempt of court application against Mbalula, Justice Minister Mmamoloko Kubayi and Eastern Cape Premier Oscar Mabuyane.
The ANC’s provincial conference, initially scheduled for March, was halted after a marathon court battle and later placed in abeyance while thousands of delegates had already gathered at the venue.
Despite the legal threats, the ANC proceeded with Thursday night’s inauguration ceremony.
Mabuyane was unveiled as PTT convenor, while Mlungisi Mvoko was named deputy provincial convenor. Former provincial deputy secretary Helen Sauls-August was appointed provincial coordinator, Nanziwe Rulashe deputy provincial coordinator, and Zolile Williams provincial fundraiser.
The structure comprises 40 members after Social Development MEC Bukiwe Fanta was added to an amended list circulated on Thursday.
Addressing the media on the sidelines of the event, Mbalula dismissed suggestions of instability within the province and defended the ANC’s decision to appoint the interim structure.
“The appointment of the task team was an operational mandate from the NEC,” Mbalula said.
“Most of these comrades in the PTT come from the old PEC and have led this province towards a provincial conference and beyond.”
Responding to the prospect of fresh litigation, Mbalula said the ANC was prepared to defend itself in court.
“I’ve seen that letter, so we will deal with it as it comes. We will have to deal with it in the context of the law. We are capable of defending ourselves, and that is what we will do,” he said.
“Everything we have done in relation to the processes we have followed is permissible in terms of the ANC constitution.”
Mbalula also rejected claims of divisions within the provincial ANC.
“There is no such thing as disunity or divisions in this province. Structures here are united. There is no problem of disunity in the Eastern Cape. It is being manufactured,” he said.
The ANC’s NEC dissolved the provincial structure last week after its term officially lapsed earlier this month and resolved to replace it with a task team to oversee organisational renewal and preparations for the upcoming local government elections.
INSIDE POLITICS








