THE Pretoria High Court of South Africa has awarded the National Prosecuting Authority’s investigating directorate restraint order valued at R1.4 billion against former Eskom executives and former Tubular Construction Projects contractors.
The preservation order, granted in terms of the Prevention of Organised Crimes Act, was served and enforced on all the accused in Mpumalanga, Gauteng and Limpopo on Tuesday (4 May), the NPA said in a statement.
Included in the order are:
- Former Eskom senior manager for Capital Contracts – France Hlakudi;
- Eskom’s former group executive for Group Capital – Abram Masango;
- Former Tubular Construction Projects chief executive – Antonio Trindade;
- Former Tubular Holdings executive advisor – Michael Lomas;
- Businessman – Maphoko Kgomoeswana;
- Six companies owned by these individuals.
“In addition, their spouses’ assets and their family trusts were included in the restraint order. The freezing order prohibits them from dealing in any manner with any of their realisable property,” the prosecuting authority said.
Hlakudi, Trindade, Masango, Maphoko, and Lomas face charges of fraud and corruption. Kgomoeswana faces an additional charge of money laundering. The criminal matter is scheduled to appear back in court on 1 June 2021.
Lomas was arrested last week by the UK authorities in the Westminster Magistrates’ Court in London on Thursday where he was granted bail of R1.7 million.
The process of his extradition back to the country started last month and the matter will return to the London Westminster Magistrates’ Court on 20 May 2021 for case management.
The NPA had to involve the UK authorities after Lomas failed to cooperate with them.
“He was granted bail of £ 100 000 (R1.7m) and he further submitted additional surety in the sum of £ 250 000 (R4.3 million)
“The appearance means Lomas’ extradition to South Africa has begun in earnest in the United Kingdom,” reads NPA’s statement