A CONFIDENTIAL document presented in court and ‘accidentally’ leaked to the media by the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) has thrust Afropop music sensation Kelly Khumalo at the centre of former Orlando Pirates goalkeeper Senzo Meyiwa’s murder.
This comes as five men accused of being involved in the murder of the former soccer star appeared in the Boksburg Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday.
The document appears to instruct investigating officers to obtain additional information aimed at supporting the State’s case, including cellphone records indicating Khumalo’s communication with one of the suspects arrested by the police.
The State also wants to acquire the telephone records of all the five accused before and after the murder.
The leaked document further states that the award-winning musician might have also paid for the shooting of Meyiwa.
“It was previously mentioned that there was a lender who advanced money to Ms Kelly Khumalo, ostensibly to pay hit-men and that this lender was pestering her for the repayment of his loan. The statement of such a lender must be obtained,” the NPA’s document shows.
“A photo parade must also be held and the photo retrieved from the cellphone of suspect 3 (MTHOBISI PRINCE MNCUBE) must be included in those identikit of a suspect who was on the scene and had dreadlocks, and the outcome must be set out in affidavit.”
Outside court, NPA spokesperson Sipho Ngwema confirmed that the document was released to the media accidentally, and was not supposed to be in the public domain.
Earlier on Tuesday, the five men arrested in connection with Meyiwa’s murder earlier on Tuesday refused to step inside the dock.
The five accused police minister Bheki Cele and the SAPS of abusing their Constitutional rights.
Most of the five suspects rejected legal assistance in court, stating that they were already in prison when their arrests were made by SAPS.
South Africans took to Twitter and Facebook on Tuesday to express their anger and frustration at the police’s shoddy handling of the Meyiwa murder case.
The anger and hatred towards the award-winning singer also deepened further, with many saying she must be arrested with immediate effect, and her shows should be removed from television until she tells the truth about what happened on that fateful day when Meyiwa was shot dead at her family home in Vosloorus, East Rand.
Speculation has been rife for the past six years that the former football captain was shot dead by Longwe Twala, the son of music mogul Sello Chicco Twala, during an argument with Twala’s then girlfriend, Zandi Khumalo.
Speaking to Newzroom Afrika, Meyiwa’s mother, Ntombifuthi, said she is afraid of Khumalo.
“I’m scared of her. The same person who still refuses to tell the truth about what happened to my son. My biggest wish is to see the people who killed Senzo arrested and for the truth to come out completely,” she said.
“What hurts the most is the people who know very well what happened to my son. We know the whole truth, even the killer, but we keep seeing people blatantly lying about what happened to Senzo.”
Meanwhile, President Ramaphosa has congratulated the police for the breakthrough in the investigation, and the subsequent arrests.
“Today is a day on which we revisit the sadness that affected millions of us as South Africans when we lost Senzo Meyiwa in 2014,” said the Presidency in a statement.
“But this anniversary is mitigated by the arrest of five suspects who have been unable to escape the reach of the law, regardless of the passage of time.”
“We congratulate the police for their hard work and persistence. We must now allow the criminal justice system and the judiciary to do their work and handle this matter to finality.”
(COMPILED BY INSIDE POLITICS STAFF)