ANC veteran and businessman Tokyo Sexwale says the so-called ‘mysterious’ Heritage Fund is real and he has evidence to prove it.
“This heritage fund exists. The heritage fund is not SA’s money, it is a heritage fund, whose owner is from Asia and the fund, which I am responsible for together with Godwin Webb, is responsible for development and philanthropy throughout the African continent and Indian Ocean island states. That is where I take my mandate,” said Sexwale.
The media briefing on Thursday comes after Sexwale told eNCA’s anchor JJ Tabane that billions set aside to help students were looted.
National Treasury and the South African Reserve Bank responded saying Sexwale was scammed.
“Don’t tell me I have been scammed, man, don’t do this man,” said Sexwale, responding to Finance Minister Tito Mboweni and SA Reserve Bank governor Lesetja Kganyago’s statement on Monday saying his allegations pointed to a scam.
“If I knew about the scamming of a person you bring it to the attention of the police, you don’t just Tweet, especially if you are a senior and serious person, why did you not report it to the police?”
During the press conference, Sexwale singled out Mboweni, Kganyago, President Cyril Ramaphosa and ANC Treasurer-General Paul Mashatile as being among those who had ignored him for more than two years over his efforts to alert them that money he had helped raise was being siphoned from the Reserve Bank.
.He reiterated that the funds from a “heritage fund”, which had been meant to fund free higher education and finance Covid-19 mitigation measures, had been looted from the Reserve Bank.
He said he was one of the two people in charge of the fund, together with what he called a “very powerful family”.
According to Sexwale, the money came through the Reserve Bank.
Sexwale said the matter was currently in the hands of the police.
“The Hawks are in charge of serious crimes investigation. We were asked not to divulge certain information as this is part of an ongoing investigation,” he said.
Sexwale also dismissed suggestions that he was using the media mileage to campaign for ANC presidency in 2022.
“I am not angling for any position of ANC presidency,” said Sexwale.
“I am 68 years old. A young person must lead. We must give young people an opportunity to lead. Many Western countries are led by young presidents. I don’t have the opportunity to go and sit at the Union Buildings. My time is done. Count me out,” he said.
Mboweni labelled Sexwale’s claims “untrue” and “sad”.
Mboweni also said that the 68-year-old “was a victim of the many scams abound [sic]”.
“Mr Tokyo Sexwale’s statement about stolen money is untrue, sad, and seems that he was a victim of the many scams abound. You cannot steal transmitted money from the central bank. How? His statement on television was unfortunate. Will reach out to him,” the minister said in a tweet
- Inside Politics