South African cricket players and team officials arrive at the airport in Kolkata on March 16, 2020. - India called off its two remaining one-day cricket internationals against a visiting South Africa side amid mounting anxiety in India over the coronavirus pandemic. (Photo by Dibyangshu SARKAR / AFP) (Photo by DIBYANGSHU SARKAR/AFP via Getty Images)

South Africa’s cricket team reached an agreement with India to go ahead with the three Twenty20s (T20s) scheduled for August, provided regulations from both governments allow.

Acting CSA CEO Jacques Faul gave a positive update on discussions with India’s BCCI to play noting that much of them centred on planning around the nationwide lockdown and what the South African government would and would not allow.

“We had a telecon with India and we are encouraged by their willingness to honour their agreement to play the three T20s in August, and if it’s postponed then maybe a bit later,” Faul said.

Faul also expressed his gratitude to the England Cricket Board (ECB) for engaging with them to ensure that the CSA follows the right protocols should they play in a bio-secure environment.

The CSA said that it is seeking to engage with South African Sports Minister Nathi Mthethwa through the South African Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee (SASOC) to get permission if needed to play, possibly, the India tour and others behind closed doors.

“We’re trying to be innovative because it is an important tour to us,” Faul said adding that a lot of work was being done in terms of planning for every eventuality.

It is expected that South Africa hosting India will generate significant revenue and profits for the CSA, enough to stabilize its financial situation. CSA Director of Cricket Graeme Smith added that they were also working on other tours and not just the India one.

“We’re engaging with the West Indies Cricket Board regarding tours that have been postponed and the FTP. We’re trying to find opportunities post their (West Indies) tour to England to see how we can fit that series in, whether it is a neutral ground or wherever we are permitted to play.”

Smith, however, noted that they will not rush into anything and will wait until the appropriate time to open further discussions and make decisions.

“We’ll have to see where we sit towards August and what the restrictions are on international cricket.”

(Reporting by CGTN)

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here