By Thapelo Molefe
The ANC in the Eastern Cape was left trying to contain a mounting credibility crisis this weekend after legal disputes and internal divisions forced the indefinite postponement of its 10th provincial elective conference, derailing a leadership contest in one of the party’s most important strongholds.
The conference, which was meant to elect a new provincial leadership, had already been placed in abeyance by ANC Secretary-General Fikile Mbalula after an interim court interdict blocked proceedings.
By Saturday, delegates were formally told to go home, leaving party leaders to focus on the legal fallout and on how to reconvene a conference that can survive court scrutiny and internal contestation.
Provincial chairperson Oscar Mabuyane told delegates the ANC would not act in defiance of the courts, even if it believed it had grounds to proceed.
“We are a law-abiding organisation, we are not rogue and we will never act in
You’ve reached your free article limit
Subscribe to enjoy unlimited access to trusted journalism. Cancel anytime.
Subscribe nowNeed help? molokom@insideeducation.co.za









