THE ANC Youth League (ANCYL) crisis committee announced on Sunday that it is taking the mother body to court in a bid to seek an urgent order declaring the National Youth Task Team (NYTT) illegal.
The ANC’s National Executive Committee (NEC) appointed the NYTT in July last year to revive the youth league, which was liquidated in 2018.
Earlier this year, the NYTT was expected to organize a national conference of the youth league to elect the ANCYL’s new leaders, but these plans were changed after the outbreak of the novel coronavirus pandemic.
Other high-profile members of the NYTT include convenor Thandi Mahambehlala, co-ordinator Sibongile Besani, former ministers Malusi Gigaba and Nomvula Mokonyane, and Transport Minister Fikile Mbalula, ANC spokesperson Pule Mabe, Dakota Legoete, Faith Muthambi, Justice and Correctional Services Minister Ronald Lamola and Deputy Minister of Finance David Masondo.
The youth league’s crisis committee told the media on Sunday that the NYTT comprised of older members who had no business taking up the struggles of young people.
“We have rejected the eldership since the day the ANC NEC announced them in August 2019. If there is one thing we have been consistent on, is that non-members of the ANCYL have absolutely no business running the affairs of young people. We demand our right to self-determination,” said Nonceba Mhlauli outside the ANC headquarters at Luthuli House.
“Young people have over the past 16 months, since the removal of the ANCYL NEC in July 2019, taken various actions in the interests of reviving their organisation.”
The crisis committee intends handing over these interdicts on 6 November during a national march to ANC offices.
“If you don’t want to explain to us, as members of the ANC Youth League, then maybe you want to explain it in court papers,” said Mhlauli.
The crisis committee said that they have come to this resolution after several attempts to engage the party’s leadership, including ANC Secretary General Ace Magashule.
“The crisis committee has resolved to initiate a legal process against the ANC, demanding a declaratory order and interdicts against the NYTT and all youth league PECs (provincial executive committees),” the committee said in a statement issued by Luzuko Bashman.
The crisis is also demanding “the disbandment of that purposeless stokvel of elders masquerading as youth leaders as it is inconsistent with Section 2 of Article E of the Constitution of the ANC Youth League, which provides ‘that the organisational control and programmes of the ANC shall rest in the ANCYL membership in accordance with Constitution.”
The committee also demands the disbandment of all ANCYL PECs across all nine provinces as they are illegitimate.
“We shall be delivering our interdict to the ANC on Friday 6 November through a national march of concerned young people from all over the country,” said Bashman.
“As legitimate members of the Youth League, who unlike the elderly, have an appreciation of the twin-tasks of the congress Youth League, we have further resolved to undergo a massive recruitment drive targeting 50 000 young people across the country over the next two months to join the struggle of reviving their organization.”
Besani, NYTT co-ordinator, was unavailable for comment at the time of going to press.
(COMPILED BY INSIDE POLITICS STAFF)