Staff Reporter
The Independent Police Investigative Directorate (IPID) said on Saturday it was pursuing two suspects after arresting one person in connection with the theft of precious stones worth nearly R15 million during a 2023 raid on a Johannesburg home.
The directorate said the suspect was being held at the Edenvale police cells and was expected to appear in the Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court on Monday.
It said three arrest warrants had been obtained, but two suspects could not be located during an operation conducted with the police Tactical Response Team on Friday night.
The case relates to a warrantless search of a private residence in Killarney, Johannesburg, where precious stones valued at just under R15 million were seized and later allegedly not properly registered as police exhibits.
IPID said the investigation initially involved six suspects: three Ekurhuleni Metropolitan Police Department officers, a Gauteng Traffic Police official, a Johannesburg Metropolitan Police
You’ve reached your free article limit
Subscribe to enjoy unlimited access to trusted journalism. Cancel anytime.
Subscribe nowNeed help? molokom@insideeducation.co.za









