By Thapelo Molefe
Minister in the Presidency Khumbudzo Ntshavheni said on Thursday that the decision for Cyril Ramaphosa to personally chair a newly established Water Crisis Committee marks a “step change” in government’s response to collapsing municipal water systems and ageing infrastructure.
Briefing the media on the outcomes of Wednesday’s Cabinet meeting, Ntshavheni said government was shifting into what it described as an emergency mode to confront the country’s deepening water shortages.
ALSO READ: Ex-ActionSA councillor accuses party of misleading voters
The move was announced by Ramaphosa during his State of the Nation Address earlier this month, following prolonged water disruptions in the cities of Johannesburg, Ekurhuleni and Tshwane.
“The Water Task Team has done incredible work in conducting the assessment,” Ntshavheni said. “But now we are making a step change and moving faster so that we can have water in the taps.”
The new committee will consolidate the work
You’ve reached your free article limit
Subscribe to enjoy unlimited access to trusted journalism. Cancel anytime.
Subscribe nowNeed help? molokom@insideeducation.co.za









